Scroll through our most frequently asked questions, if there’s anything you’d like to ask us about air pressure, air leakage, air tightness and acoustic testing please phone us on 0800 779 7830

Air Testing BournemouthWhat is air leakage in buildings?

Don’t confuse regular air ventilation systems with leakage, this is classed as controlled air flow. Air leakage (also known as air permeability or air infiltration) is the air tightness of a dwelling through uncontrolled means such as cracks and gaps in the building envelope.

Why is it important to build air tight dwellings?

If we reduce the air leakage of a building we also reduce the amount of energy required to maintain comfort levels and in turn reduce carbon dioxide emissions. Not only does this meet the regulations set by the Government but it also saves money on utility costs.

Why do I need to test the air tightness of a building?

Testing the air tightness of existing dwellings can highlight areas that can be treated cost effectively to improve the energy efficiency of the dwelling as a whole. Air pressure testing is a legal requirement in accordance with the guidance given in Approved Document Part L1A – Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings of the Building Regulations.

When are air tightness tests carried out?

Air tightness tests are usually carried out during the construction and commissioning process of a building when the external envelope is fully complete, with windows and external doors in place. A full list to determine the readiness of dwelling to be tested can be provided on request.

What happens if a dwelling fails air pressure testing?

Guidance in Approved Document Part L1A advises that failed dwelling types will require remedial work and retesting, along with one additional test on the same dwelling type. In the event of a failed air pressure test, we can provide a smoke test and advice to help identify the areas of leakage and give guidance on improving the air tightness performance

What is sound testing?

Sound  testing is the measurement of how much sound is stopped by separating walls or floors between dwellings/classrooms/hotel rooms etc.  By making a controlled noise on one side of the separating wall or floor and measuring how much sound is being received on the other side, we can tell how much sound is stopped by the structure.

What happens after testing?

After testing, we will provide provisional results on-site, as well as providing basic feedback about what has been noted during the test, i.e. potential problems/future areas of concern. A full report and individual test certificates can be generated and sent out as agreed.

What needs to be tested?

As set out in Part E of the Building Regulations –

  • New Build Houses – set of two tests on the walls only is required
  • New Build Flats – set of six tests on separating walls & floors comprising of two airborne wall tests, two airborne floor tests and two impact floor tests
  • Rooms for Residential Purposes (student accommodation, hotel rooms, care homes etc.) – the set of three tests are required: one airborne wall test, one airborne floor test and one impact floor test.

What is a SAP Calculation?

SAP stands for ‘Standard Assessment Procedure’, the Governments approved procedure for energy rating domestic dwellings. Properties are given a rating score between 1 to 100 depending on their performance.

Why do I need a SAP Calculation?

The new Part L1A 2010 aims to reduce CO2 emissions by 25% over the existing 2006 Regulations, which equates to a 40% improvement over a dwelling built to the 2002 levels. As the demands that are made of house builders and developers become more and more rigorous, you will need to focus more closely still on your energy efficiency strategies to ensure that you achieve Building Regulation Compliance.

What is an EPC?

The purpose of an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is to record how energy efficient a property is. The certificate provides a rating of the energy efficiency and CO2 emissions of a property from A to G, where A is very efficient and G is very inefficient.

Why do I need an EPC?

It is now the requirement for all domestic properties marketed for sale or put up for rent in England and Wales to have an Energy Performance Certificate provided by an accredited Assessor. Commercial buildings are also required to have an energy performance certificate when they are newly constructed, sold or rented. This means any non-dwelling, i.e. industrial units, retail outlets and offices.